View Single Post
Old Posted May 29, 2008, 10:52 PM

I think that a person can be both realistic and idealistic in their career and in their personal life.

Just remember to focus on both grand ideas and reality if you ever want to have a career as a planner. Whether you work as a consultant or in a government position you will always have a client or a boss. What happens if a developer hires your company to design a suburban subdivision and he wants 1/2 acre lots and 66' roadways? What if the Mayor and Council of your community disagrees with the General Plan that you have recommended and asks you to mold it to their desires? Do you quit/lose your job? Or do you realize that you don't need to lose your zeal for idealism but still realize that reality exists and that you have a job to do?

Leaving school was disillusioning, and it was the same way with nearly every planner that I know. I spoke with fellow planners at the last APA Conference after I gave a presentation on Multi-modal Transportation Systems. (I am recognized as a planner and have been asked to speak by a few organizations, APA and ULI being two of them) What is taught in school is a wonderful foundation but some day the real world comes knocking.

Just something to think about.