View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 13, 2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

There are 1.3 million people within a 2.5-hour drive of Moncton, the largest population catchment area of any city in Atlantic Canada. There are 960,000 people within the same distance of Halifax.

There are 250,000 people within one hour of Moncton. Proponents of a CFL franchise here point out the city is the geographic centre of the Maritimes and an ideal location because it has the region's largest population drawing power.
This is so subjective. Driving times are not a measure of a population base. I don't mean to start this debate with Moncton again, but I can pick any "driving time" I want to make it suit my case. I'll say Halifax has 500,000 within an 45 min drive and Moncton has maybe 150,000 in a 45 min drive. You add an 1 hour, 2 hours, 5 hours eventually you will have the entire Maritimes population. I know I'll here some "reasoning" from MonctonRad that Moncton is more centre, or has more people in an "optimal" driving time. Fact is Halifax is bigger by a lot, and Moncton's propaganda is not gonna convince an owner to throw his money away on small city now or 20 years from now.

I'm sick of the BS from that Moncton "make up my own facts" newspaper.
Don't count on me or any football fans I know from Halifax to drive to Moncton for a Federally funded CFL game.