View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post

https://www.toronto.com/news-story/7...ment-proposal/

Like so many other malls though it's being redeveloped, of course.
I wouldn't really call this a mall. I'd call this a "strip center" (though maybe I'm not getting the whole picture) and, in the US, strip centers are mostly doing pretty well. The main difference is usually the presence of a grocery store--many people including me are resistant to buying perishable groceries online--and convenient parking with a direct entrance to stores--so you don't have to walk through interior spaces to get to the store you want to go to).

I'm not a developer but I am an investor. I can give you any number of "strip center" stocks that have done very well: KIM, BRX, KRG, SRC and so on. There are also a handfull of mall companies doing pretty well, mainly at the high end: FRT (Federal Realty) and SPG (Simon Property Group) are the standouts. A controversial one that I think may be a great investment ultimately is BPR (Brookfield Property REIT). As Crawford pointed out above, quite a few Brookfield properties are doing fine but mainly Brookfield is one of the most savvy, best capitalized real estate investors in the world. They are usually able to buy properties that are bargains and either turn them around or sell at a nice profit and they have the resources to swoop in where others perhaps couldn't.