View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
When I saw the first thumbnail of this Julius Shulman set, I thought it was the Lytton Savings Bank on Sunset Boulevard. It's actually "Job 3791: William H. Harrison, Monte Vista High School (Whittier, Calif.), 1964".

This appears to be a different building.

Now the black & white images. I've left out a different angle on this corner. The only extra information it gives is that the little object at the front of the roof is a cluster of lights.

There's only one interior shot.

All from Getty Research Institute

As far as I can tell, the Monte Vista High School was only open from 1964 (Wikipedia) or 1965 (article below) until 1979. The following is from a blog post at My Whittier:
Back in 1978 the Whittier Union High School District’s board of trustees met and made a landmark decision that would change the landscape of Whittier forever: the closure of Sierra High School and Monte Vista High School.

This decision completely changed the make-up of the district forever. Sierra High School, located at 9401 Painter Avenue, was only open from 1957 – 1979. It will always be linked forever with Monte Vista High School, located at 11515 S. Colima Road which was open from 1965-1979.

[...]

Monte Vista High School, whose school nickname was the “Mustangs”, was located on the south side of Whittier. It was eventually sold to the Los Angeles County and is the location of the Sherriff’s [sic] academy.
I've compared the current buildings to those that were there in 1973 (the first Historic Aerials image after 1964), and they all seem to be original. The site still appears to be the Explorer Training Academy at the Sheriff’s Training Academy and Regional Services (STARS) Center. Unfortunately, the building with the zig-zag roof is now hard to see from the road. Where's that chainsaw, GW?

GSV
Monte Vista High School opened in 1964 with only freshman, sophmore, and junior classes--no seniors. This was MY high school and I was part of the first 4-year graduating class in 1968.