View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 2:36 AM

This is New York, that is used to have plenty of highrises, and not just in Manhattan, Downtown Brooklyn or LIC, but scattered in many areas of the outer boroughs, So I think it is not the problem wheter they buiild highrises or not, when you talk about blending with the context.
Anyway, besides the rendering are not very detailed, they do show that there are low rises in the side facing the neighborhood, with the highrises facing the water, which I think is a good thing to reduce the possible impact of the highrises in the neighborhood.
But the most important thing, is the quality of the architecture, it could be very modern looking, but if it is good quality, it would blend with the neighborhood well. (it is yet to be seen the architectural quality of these proposals) Another thing if it encourages the mix of uses, using retail in the ground level, that it seems to be the case.
Also I think that in the part facing the East River, it would be good if they do more of an "urban promenade" facing the water, and less of a park waterfront, that is already done south, at Brooklyn Bridge Park, and north, at Hunters Point South and LIC.

That is from the architectural point of view. Socially, the problem with this kind of development is that they tend to bring some more affluent residents, which is not bad per se, it even could be desirable, as the area tends to improve. But the downside is that the rents in those areas tend to spike, pushing the old residents out, which I think is not fair (that's why many times they oppose this developments)
I know the world isn't fair, but it would be good that they do these developments, which without doubt improve the area, but the traditional residents are not forced out by spiking rents.