View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 17, 2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
It would be nice to see something that creates a gradient from the small scale fine grain existing urban fabric into higher/larger/denser structures along the water. Also to have architecture that relates to the identity of Greenpoint and acknowledges the shoreline's past as a gritty industrial area. The renderings create a white washed, anywhere USA vibe, that somehow these buildings should disassociate themselves from Greenpoint and to a greater extent, NYC.

You are taking my criticism the wrong way. By no means would I ever imagine "starchitecture" being a solution for this project... or even desirable. In fact I would like to see a reversion towards more rectilinear, tiered designs utilizing materials that age and have a direct connection to industrial Brooklyn. Work akin to that of Roman Williams or Williams Tsien is what I would be looking for.

And considering the crap that is unearthed ANYWHERE in NYC, every site is a contaminated brownfield site. the contamination just varies (and yes I am very aware of the Greenpoint superfund site... but that obviously isn't stopping this development team from wanting to pouring hundreds of millions of dollars into the area)

I have no problem with high rises for the site, just the placeholder architectural style which seems to ignore its context... not just that of the waterfront, or Greenpoint, or even Brooklyn... but NYC on the whole.
All valid points.