View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 11:00 PM

I don't think this is bad, and it's certainly better than what one would expect for the area. Much of Greenpoint is a brownfield site, and you have to take that into consideration before slamming this development, I think... you're not going to get starchitecture on a plot next to contaminated land (I'm fairly sure the Lumberyard site isn't actually part of the brownfield, but it's most definitely adjacent).

The Calatrava-designed bridge over Newtown Creek is a nice touch although it is generic (for his work) and I don't see it being used. Who wants to walk over a body of water--however large--that is basically a toxic waste dump?

I see the next major phase in the development of Greenpoint and LIC as involving a major clean-up of Newtown Creek and the adjacent industrial land, especially as both the Lumberyard project and Hunter's Point South come closer to completion.

Also: if you DO want starchitecture in Brooklyn, I would look to DoBro for the answer. Even the developments in Williamsburg are mostly generic (and remember Vinoly's awfully ugly plan for the Domino Site redevelopment? hopefully with the site changing hands a new master plan is selected). I think buildings like The Hub could surprise people, and the tallest Citypoint Tower could also be a knock-out if it is indeed built to 700 feet or more.