Thread: 2019 CFL Season
View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The Alouettes are kinda stuck when it comes to their stadium. The Big O is too big to be a regular stadium for them, there is little chance they can share Saputo, no one is going to build a new stadium somewhere else just for them and they don't have the $ to build one themselves, and they are never going to put much of their own money into a stadium (Molson) that they don't even own.

Even the public money well for renos to Molson won't likely work anymore as they already tapped into that a few years ago (during the great Calvillo era), and they're not even using all the extra seating that government money paid for.

So it's Molson pretty much as-is, or nothing, for the Alouettes, for the foreseeable future.
I just don't see the benefit to the Als playing at Saputo. You get the shitty location of the Big O with the spartan environment and exposure to the elements of Molson Stadium. Yeah it would be a bit better with bucket seats and I'm assuming more skyboxes at Saputo, but on the whole it doesn't seem like much of an improvement to me. If the Als can't convince their fans to buy tickets to watch games at Olympic Stadium, then they might as well just stay at Molson.

On that note, it is crazy that Montreal has three big stadiums (one huge, two large-ish) and all three have some kind of fundamental flaws to them. Add to that list Autostade which barely made it a decade before it was more or less put out of service and demolished.

But that said, with the Als showing some signs of life this season, it's becoming clear that fans will come out to Molson Stadium. They may have just been waiting for a reason to buy a ticket.