View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 3:59 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I agree with everything you're saying, but Canada seems to do a good job of avoiding the pitfalls you outline in the last paragraph. We're not China or Russia.

It's almost inevitable that the summer Olympics will come back to Canada within the next 20-30 years. When it does, it will be Toronto. As you alluded to, the Olympics does spur politicians to action. There's nothing like being embarrassed before the world to get politicians on the same page and get things done instead of debating endlessly about it.

The only possible white elephant for Toronto would be the Olympic Stadium, but even there we can avoid that if we're smart about it. Commission a 80,000 seater that will be down sized to 40,000 (and no athletics track) immediately after the Olympics. The NFL fantasy needs to put to rest and attention focused on the sports franchises we do have.... not some team in a foreign league that may never materialize.

An intimate 40,000 seat football specific stadium for the Argonauts and we're golden.
Oh is that ever true. It's the same way if i want to get stuff done around the house I'll ivite company over because I'll get way more things accomplished than I otherwise would. Nothing like having a fixed deadline and the threat of embarassment to spur one to take action!