View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Maybe Canadians are different. I've never heard of Ameicans visting Montreal in winter (it's a very popular summer destination from the NE Corridor).

In the U.S., there's usually a massive difference in hotel prices in cold weather cities from summer to winter (unless there's a specific event or a seasonal attraction). The Chicago Hilton is usually around $250 a night in the warm weather months, and can now be had for $90 a night.

Look at these rates, in the heart of Chicago, right now. Everything is at least 1/2 the price you would have paid two months ago. And it isn't bitter cold yet:

https://www.expedia.com/Hotel-Search..._source=google
I mentioned this before. In Canadian cities, the business convention market is from fall to spring.

This is necessary to offset the relatively short warm weather tourist season.

I doubt you will see the kind of hotel price variation in Canadian cities that you pointed out in Chicago.

Niagara Falls is an exception. It is strictly a tourist town, and because of the lack of good airport connections, it cannot develop a role as a convention centre. This is why improved transportation connections are needed to move Niagara Falls to the next level.