View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 12, 2007, 3:38 AM
under the influence...

Here are some images from the Mesa Arts Center, taken this afternoon while on my way home. Took these with my phone's camera, so they aren't the best, but they give you some idea about this place.

This place is a wonderful jewel! I've only driven by before, so it's the first time I've gotten out of my car to really take a look. If you are familiar with the Valley's more iconic buildings, such as Bruder's Main Library or Predock's Nelson Fine Arts Center at ASU, then you might recognize a few elements here.

Even so, there is a lot to explore. There are a lot of details to be discovered, and the complex is divided into several areas.

The building surfaces and the paving materials are the first thing I noticed. There's a lot of interesting materials being used, creating a variety of surface treatments and textures. Concrete (both plain and stained), glass, aluminum, stucco and ceramic tile are all used here. Many of the exterior walls are brightly painted with blue, purple, green and orange.

The primary water feature is a man-made stream that runs through the length of the complex. Interesting color and texture used here as well.

The entrance from the parking lot on the southern end of the site echo's the same texture and pattern found in the water feature.

I also noticed the variety of screens and awnings used to create shade. Some seem pretty familiar (think of the Phoenix Library), while others are interesting twists on older ideas.

These 3 images show large screen walls, made of perforated metal squares, placed in a grid and spaced apart. They're really interesting up close. Also note the horizontal tensil fabric structures used for other windows.

As you might expect, there is plenty of outdoor sculptures and other art as well.

Overall, a great experience. If you ever come out here for a show or an exhibit, make it a point to arrive early. You won't be disappointed.