View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 2:41 PM
Round Head

In my experience any 'policy' on integration or multiculturalism is moot. First generation immigrants, understandably seek out people from the same background, language, religion, culture (just as many of us would as ex-pats in other countries) because that is what they are comfortable with. People will learn the official language and other custom to be able to function in that society (I've yet to come across an immigrant I've not been able to communicate with at all).

Integration is de facto for second generation immigrants. They are born into this dominant Canadian or Western society just like any 4th or 5th generation Irish, English, German, French or any other citizen. Some will learn the language, practice some of the customs or religion of their backgrounds, but will be essentially just as "mainstream" as anyone else.

Canada is a post-national state. The furthest thing that a country can be from a nation. What I like about that is that it is a welcoming place for all outsiders and backgrounds. Our bigger cities epitomize this. Of course a dominant english (or french) speaking western democratic and modern society is what binds us together to a degree and that's what makes society function effectively. I don't see multiculturalism, or pluralism threatening that, nor do I see different cultures as competing. People in Canada are very good at co-existing with everyone else.