View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 10:31 PM

Ocean View Ave.

Some times I come across a little part of the city that seems hidden a way and feels like it was and still is, it’s own distinct secret neighborhood. The part of town I call Ocean View is just to the north of Park Plaza Hotel in Westlake. There is a street called Ocean View Ave. And Ocean Ave between Coronado and Carondelet gets me thinking how this might have been the best street to live on in Los Angeles at one point.

Ocean View Ave is at the top of a steep hill, so at one time or maybe still on a clear day, one could see all the way to the Ocean. And talk about VIEWS, from Ocean View Ave you can also see “Westlake” Park, Elks Lodge #99(1925), the Asbury, the Town House, the Bryson, and Bullocks Wilshire.

But what is also amazing about this little tucked away neighborhood is the architecture. First this pink French style roofed castle looking apartment building. It’s fairytale quality makes it seems out of place but it feels right at home on this eclectic street.

Photo taken by Mr. Swink

Photo taken by Mr. Swink

But up the street at Carondelet is this beautiful Mediterranean style apartment building, the Nob Hill Towers. Which begs the question... are we at the top of Nob Hill?

Photo taken by Mr. Swink

The view from the top of the Nob Hill Towers already perched high on the hill must be incredible.

Photo taken by Mr. Swink

And if you turn around from the Towers you see this Craftsman Home.

Photo taken by Mr. Swink

Here’s looking west from Carondelet on Ocean View. We see the fairytale castle and the Town House in the background. Also notice closest in the picture the mid century glass front apartment building. Another interesting building in this photo is the one at the corner with the onion dome. It reminds me of some of the apartment buildings in San Francisco.

Photo taken by Mr. Swink

Photo taken by Mr. Swink

Just around the corner to the left on Coronado from the onion dome is this brick building.

Photo taken by Mr. Swink

And to the right on Coronado are a bunch of really small bungalows and this building.

Photo taken by Mr. Swink

And looking the opposite way back up Ocean View Ave towards Park View Ave. is just as diverse. There are these style homes which I have seen all around the Westlake area...

Photo taken by Mr. Swink

and even an art deco is tucked down and to the right. I have seen many old photos of Mac Park and even aerial photos of the area but I don’t remember this area around Ocean View ever standing out. Any one have any detailed old photos of this area???