View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 4:36 PM

Also one of my faves. According to the LAPL website, a year after the current City Hall opened, the furnishings of the 1888 City Hall were auctioned off in January of 1928 before the building was demolished later in the year. It also gives the address as having been 226 S. Broadway. Municipal departments, as well as the offices for: Clerk and Council, Tax Collector, Treasurer, Chief of Fire Department, Zanjero, Building Inspector, Board of Education, Board of Health, Health Officer, Board of Public Works, Mayor's office, Council Chambers, City Attorney, Superintendent of Streets, Assessor, Public Library, and City Surveyor, among others were housed here from 1888 until 1928; a courtroom and several private offices were also located here.

When you think about it, at the time of its demolition, the building was only 40 years old, but what a difference in technology, architectural styles, social mores and fashions in those 40 years than say, 40 years ago from today. Such a beautiful building. Too bad they didn't think of "adaptive re-use" back then and somehow had the foresight and the technology to seismically save the structure. Would've made an excellent city history museum or something; in fact I don't think Los Angeles even has a city history museum, at least that I don't know of; many other cities do. What's up with that??

Here's the old city hall in its waning years, circa 1925:

From lapl.org

Here it is during the auction of its furnishings:

From lapl.org

From lapl.org

From lapl.org

Its demolition:

From lapl.org

From lapl.org

From lapl.org

~ Charles Bukowski