View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 3:45 AM
Honored Member

I read an article in allnovascotia.com yesterday that grabbed my attention.

(source: allnovascotia.com, October 3rd edition) - an excerpt is hand typed below.
Quote:
Why Waye Mason Won't Vote for RP+5

By Amy Pugsley Fraser

A regional Councillor is slamming the brakes on Halifax City Hall's five-year review of city's regional plan, citing aspects of it as a "black eye" for the municipality.

Counc. Waye Mason said Wednesday that he can't vote for the RP+5 plan because it includes a list of street widenings, Bayers Road and Herring Cove Road among them, that date back to 2006.

The seven-year list is duplicated in its entirety in the new plan, he says, despite input from the public over the course of last year about the importance of walkable communities, active transportation and transit.
Mason wants to see the entire Road Network Functional Plan taken out for public consultation.

"The public should be involved in why we're committing to support all these other modes of transportation and mobility, but the only thing we're willing to make a list of in the regional plan is roads aimed primarily at single occupancy vehicles."

Mason's motion to seek public input was approved by the volunteer-led Community Design Review Committee at the close of a two-hour meeting Wednesday.
This is a complex issue so I won't give my uniformed views on it. However, in order to understand Waye Mason's viewpoint somewhat better I referred to his halifax.ca website and found this interesting report on the Bayne Street Land Use Study, which includes information on twinning the MacKay bridge and ideas for re-routing truck traffic from the Southend terminal - http://wayemason.ca/wp-content/uploa...eet_Report.pdf. It is interesting that the report is from November 2003!

Last edited by fenwick16; Oct 4, 2013 at 4:49 AM.