View Single Post
Old Posted May 29, 2013, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
This is interesting. I was just in Boston and they have the exact same thing, and NYC is rolling out their own version too. It appears that all of the city-run bike sharing systems use the same supplier for the bikes, stations, and infrastructure (http://www.altabicycleshare.com/) but they each have their own rules and pricing structure. Divvy is a bit cheaper than NYC's CitiBikes, and Boston's system places a $125 (I think) hold on your credit card when you get a day-pass, which Divvy claims not to.

There are a ton of stations coming. I might give it a try going to/from work. I like it. I also like how Chicago didn't sell off the naming rights like NYC did to Citi.
NYC Bike share program is completely privatized while Divvy is subsidized by the city, a similiar model to DC's Capital Bike share. Alta is not the supplier they do all the planning of station location, number of bikes ect. They also handle daily operations and maintenance for a monthly fee paid by the city. Revenue goes to the city with some sale incentives for Alta. The bike supplier for Divvy is BIXI Bicycle. Also the city will most likely sell advertising later, well after its debut.