View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Why haven't they demolished Brooks yet? Would they not be saving on property taxes doing so, or do Universities have different property tax arrangements, similar to the Feds?
I have asked the question before and told it will happen soon. Soon never comes.

Taking it down probably will be tricky. There is a large parking lot beneath the complex that they want to keep for now.They would have to be careful not to damage the roof of the garage. Maybe have to put new waterproofing over it. There appears to be no plans to build anything new there for now. So, if they tore down Brooks now they would probably have to make it into a plaza or greenspace until they are ready to build. I think it would be a nice central location for an athletic facility replacing Montpetit Hall. Upon completion, Montpetit could come down and a space for something else opened up.

The top of Montpetit is currently one of the spaces occupied by The Faculty of Health Sciences. When the new FHS building at Lees is opened, they will move out of Montpetit.

I have no idea about the property tax situation for universities.

Last edited by LeadingEdgeBoomer; Aug 10, 2022 at 2:13 PM.