View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 6:14 PM

"What place or places (if any) in L.A. engender in you a profound personal resonance of the nature of what I'm talking about?"

So much of the Los Angeles I grew up in is changed or gone, or unrecognizable, so there is little resonance. I left LA in 1966 never to live there again.

Wrigley Field gone, my grammar and high schools gone, street cars gone, downtown LA with department stores and theaters gone, the downtown YMCA gone, the house I grew up in is a wreck and the neighborhood around it is run down, Hermosa Beach and Venice changed, Grand Central Market now hipster heaven, Hollywood Blvd. now scummy, Ascot Park and Lions Drag Strip gone, my mom and dad's favorite restaurants gone. The buildings that housed my fathers bar and my grandfather's restaurant long burned or torn down. Neighborhood movie theaters - Strand, Mesa, Academy, Vermont, Manchester, Figueroa, and more that we went to - gone. Buildings along South Broadway, Figueroa, Vermont, and Main Street burned in the 1965 Riots.

Change in inevitable and the only constant.