View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
I've always thought Windsor was sprawly for a Canadian city. It's nothing compared to American cities in that department, but development is fairly patchy around Windsor. When you get out of Windsor, there isn't much, like most of Canada, but again, Essex County is much more densely populated than its neighbouring counties (like Kent, Lambton, or Elgin). Like Jodelli says, the larger towns are all along the water and the middle is farmland.
The city of Windsor is lightly populated (just over 200,000) for the area of land it occupies. Cities like Boston (land area only), San Francisco (likewise) and Vancouver are of similar geographic area believe it or not. Noted that Windsor has part of the Detroit River included.
Even all of Essex County is just shy of 400,000 people, as has been said before with most living near the water.

Towns like Amherstburg took in township lands nearby a few years ago, so now development is under control of only a handful of municipalities.

But Essex County remains the largest populated region in Ontario without some form of regional government (London simply expanded to over 160 sq miles), although school boards have been consolidated.

Oh yeah, I was in Kingsville twice, and Essex once as well and didn't take pictures.
I'm slacking.