View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 9:24 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickell View Post
Do people really think that Buffalo and Detroit will "rise" again?
Fine places I'm sure but they've been left behind, like a Charleston or New Orleans, they will most likely continue being large cities, but lacking the importance and standing they once did. New boomtowns will emerge based on who knows what (Vegas, San Diego, Miami) , but those are as likely in today's small and medium sized cities as they are in the old players. I'm not saying it's a north/south thing just an unknown thing.
I totally agree! I think places like Buffalo, Detroit, etc., have a lot more working against them than just "bad" weather (bad is in " " because that is all relative). It's the politics, the taxes, the mentality, the lack of solid job growth...THAT is what keeps people moving away from these places. Until they fix themselves, the bleeding will continue to happen.

Weather is a factor for ATL's growth I am sure, but it's not *that much* different than NYC, south (there is no arguing that Chicago, MN, Boston, etc., is on the colder end of the spectrum). But it all comes down to jobs, housing and cost of living. Whether you like ATL or not, you have to give credit where credit is due: people and companies don't just fall into places, they are lured there.

But all you growth boosters out there, be very leery...it has just as many (if not more) cons than pros...