View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 3:47 AM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanRevival View Post
I understand the notion of trying to bolster architectural standards. I really do, and it's a noble cause.

But the constant, almost knee-jerk reaction to so many proposals as though it's the worst thing designed on the face of the planet is just not constructive. And, again, not every building has to be a work of art.

Not to get into a protracted debate, but I think there needs to be a balance of constructive criticism that recognizes development in context of achieving good urbanism and active streetlife. The aesthetic nitpicking that seems to dominate this forum does not do much to further that cause.
Thank you for saying this. I feel the same about the way this building, and many others are reviewed on this website. Talk about short memories. When the St James was going up we were all extremely excited. That was near the start of what I'd call the modern building era in Philadelphia. Before that it was a long time since we had a tower going up and it was fun to read about it. Back then I had a neighbor say "why are you obsessed with this building", and I said "it's not just about the building. It's about what's happening in the city". If it was proposed today there would be so much negativity on this site that I probably wouldn't even want to read about it here.

Nowadays I come to this website expecting a large amount of negativity as people discuss the new proposals. Damn guys, that's why I don't come here so often any more. What is happening to the Philadelphia forum? It's going negadelphian. The knee jerk reactions to this proposal are a perfect example of what I'm talking about.