View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Victorian buildings were considered more outdated than historic in the 1950's and 60's, just like how 60's buildings tend not to get much respect today.

The ornamentation was often stripped off to make the buildings look more modern.
I hadn't considered it from the aspect of 'updating' a 50-year-old building to look more 'modern' at the time. Good point.

Regardless, I guess the point I was trying to make is that it appears that the cornice removal had been done many decades ago, and though it would have been nice if they had recreated it during the current 'restoration', it appears that this job was more of a cleaning and freshening of existing than an all-out restoration.

I just thought it was relevant to mention it in this case to give context to the comments made by other posters on the previous page of this thread. Barrington Street building owners had been offered grants by the city to freshen up their facades in keeping with the heritage conservation district. Also, the motion was made on March 28, 2018 and there was a stipulation that all work had to be completed by Dec. 31, 2018, so there may not even have been enough time to engineer and construct a new cornice to replicate the original one - I can't really speak to that. Likely, though, was that the building owner wanted to keep within the budget of the grant and not expend more funds than covered by the grant for the job.

Here's a link to the document: https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...0410rc1441.pdf

It would be cool to see the little clock tower replicated some day, though.

Last edited by OldDartmouthMark; Dec 31, 2018 at 6:01 AM. Reason: Add information