View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 6:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
Yes, but what about that strip mall at the northwest corner of Harrisville and Shediac? For the longest time its only tenant was that cafe. Did it ever fill out? or are there still empty store fronts?
The only unit in that little plaza occupied is that bistro. I hear it has good food but I have never tried it. I imagine the principle problem with this plaza is that there is no other commercial nearby and the density on that part of Shediac Road isn't that high.

Quote:
Perhaps the hotel will kick start some development in that area. Harrisville may be facing some of the same issues as Mapleton for a few reasons: 1. up and coming commercial development including at hotel. 2. two-lane road, probably inadequate to handle the upcoming increase in traffic. 3. adjacent interchange at H-15 which is already inadequate to handle the current traffic load.
The Mapleton overpass over Wheeler had to be widened in order to deal with traffic pressures from increased retail and commercial development on Mapleton Road and on Trinity Drive and Plaza Blvd. When this was completed, this certainly helped to expedite additional development in the area

The same issues exist at the Harrisville/Dieppe Blvd interchange at Rte 15.

The traffic there is already insane:
- this is the main connector between the Dieppe and Caledonia Industrial Parks
- this is a principle exit for the GMIA
- this is the main entry to the uptown Dieppe area
- this is a shortcut to the TCH, especially heading west for the entire east end of the metro area

The overpass is now a (tight) three lanes, it needs to be five lanes at least. This would improve through traffic and would make the lands along Harrisville much more attractive to development. This should be a high priority item for the Moncton and Dieppe city councils, the GMIA and the management of the industrial parks.

Quote:
This could soon mean another large infrastructure investment for the city and the province. Dieppe has been lobbying for improvements to that interchange, this may force the province to get moving on this!
Amen to that. As far as I'm concerned, this should be a higher priority item than the full interchange at the maint exit for the GMIA on the 15.