View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
I've thought a lot about this as well, and I do think that regional governance may be the best approach. This is not just limited to the St. John's CMA, but should widely be used across the province as a cost-saving measure. I think even some sort of regional co-operation would go a long way at solving a lot of our issues, but municipalities all over our province can't stop bickering with one another to make any forward progress. We are essentially the Democratic Party here, stumbling over our own feet on the way to failure.

As far as Southlands goes, I'd give them to Mount Pearl in a heartbeat. St. John's loses nothing but maybe a couple thousand people on the population, and gains not having to drive snowclearing equipment out into the middle of nowhere.
St. John's boundaries pretty much take up the entire southern portion of the NE Avalon with the exception of Petty Harbor...the borders are much larger than one would think. I guess it's was preemptively given that land to make sure it remained the primary city.

The most obvious thing to make a regional co-operation for me is Metrobus. Mt. Pearl and Paradise already pay St. John's for service so it kinda makes sense to just make it a regional service and enhance and expand the routes. Whether CBS is a part of that I dunno.

If this worked well and there was good bus service throughout the metro it may be make amalgamation an easier sell in the future.