View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
The IOC has never entertained a 2 city joint bid for a Summer Olympics. They do for the Winter Olympics due to the need for both a sizeable host city but also a place with a suitable mountain. It's not often one finds both in the same place. If cities stop bidding for the Summer Olympics perhaps the IOC will compromise but for now they're still looking for 1 city to bid. It will be interesting to see what their response is to a Montreal - Toronto bid.

Regarding an Alberta Summer Olympics I wouldn't rule it out a few decades from now but Calgary and Edmonton would need to double in size. I don't think people appreciate what a huge event the Summer Olympics is. The number of tourists and media that show up dictates why only large metros bid on them. I'm not sure even Calgary and Edmonton together have anywhere close to the hotel room needed to stage a Summer Olympics. And visitors want stuff to do when they're not at an event. The city cores of these cities have a long way to go on that front.
The IOC might not have considered dual city bids yet but looking at soccer might give us a hint at what's to come. The World Cup is still a one country show in 2022 but for 2026 it will be split with Canada/USA/Mex.

Euro cup also went from single country, to two country bids (Ukraine/Poland; austria/swiss), and now down to individual stadium/city bids. I know theyre back to just Germany for 2024 but it goes to show that there is flexibility in hosting different formats than a single city/country and still have a successful sporting event.

If the IOC keeps getting lackluster bids then it might have to be more flexible in their approach and demands