View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_climber13 View Post
Is there any street in san francisco that isn't covered with spraypaint, potholes, metal slabs, and sloppy asphalt patchwork?? It looks like a toddler sketched a street.
I'm in the Virginia/ DC area for a few weeks and I'm amazed at how pristine all the roads and freeways are... especially considering there is just as much traffic here and that there are actually seasons which are much worse for the wear... and their gas taxes are a fraction of California's.
Thie shot you reposted, of course, is looking across Van Ness where the BRT project is underway so certainly it's torn up.

Otherwise, the city, thanks to a series of bond issues, has been replacing all sorts of underground infrastructure for several years now. The alternative is to just live with 100+ year old pipes and such while they corrode away and the lead in them poisons us. They chose that route in Flint and Newark and quite possibly DC (where I grew up, incidentally).

I kind of laughed when I saw a news report about Newark where they were whining they needed federal aid to replace the lead pipes. I recalled that San Francisco has passed BILLIONs in bonds to pretty totally replace everything in the Hetch Hetchy water supply system. We did not ask the feds to pay for it (they wouldn't have if we had of course).

Yeah, we need to repave a lot of streets, but at least the stuff below them is being replaced as it needs to be and that isn't true a lot of places.