View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 5, 2020, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANSIT View Post
Two, very real, potential outcomes of this are anti-transit and anti-density sentiments. There's been a lot of conversation about how to be proactive to combat this, but it might be awhile before normal is reached. Transit agencies are going to have to be very creative and flexible. Cities are going to have to tell the stories about why density is still good for our health.
I think to answer some of those questions, one needs to think about what are some permanent changes that come out of this that are never undone. For example, many people in more dense environments are increasingly relying on delivery services to help get through it. This is an argument for keeping that density. Being within walking distance of essential needs also helps us out through this. On the other hand, for many companies will come out of this realizing they can do just fine with most people working remotely. What does that do for office spaces? For job locations? All of that will have serious implications for the need for public transit.

In the future, if you work for a company that has the right tools to go remote, then why do you even need to go into a centralized office? Sure, you still need in-person meetings for certain functions (sales, marketing, etc). I could just be permanently remote, occasionally going into a WeWork style environment when I need to get out of the house and be around people. My company already had a few people working 100% remote just fine. I expect this process is going to push many many more people off that cliff into a permanent remote situation. As technology adapts to facilitate this through the crisis, it will only help accelerate that trend moving into the future.

All interesting food for thought....