View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 6:42 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post

So I don't think heritage has been much of a winner. Halifax has lost so much of its older building stock that I think we have to tread VERY carefully about losing more. Downtown specifically, I can't think of a single 19th century or early 20th century commercial building that wouldn't feel like a loss, at this point. Again, other cities are managing these things better: I've posted this before, but this and this are just fantastic examples of developers going out of their way to really incoroporate heritage in imaginative ways. Large setbacks to minimize facadism, and in the latter case, basically moving a building to the other side of a block in order to make way for a condo tower.

I don't really but the argument that the finances don't work for Halifax developers. The Roy and Commerce Square projects are quite large, and the Roy is very consciously turning into a luxury building. There's a bit too much willingness to let developers slide on the extra expense it'll take to really create out-of-the-park developments. We shouldn't just be grateful developers are finally investing in downtown and let them do whatever they want as a result--demanding greatness is the only way we'll end up with a great city. I think Halifax is getting better, but there are still too many people who equate being pro-development with an "out with the old stuff that's holding us back" mentality, and that's really unfortunate.
When I looked at the links that you provided, I didn't see any difference between the Toronto examples and Halifax rebuilds, just the buildings are different. The Toronto developer is still gutting the buildings and even rebuilding some facades with new materials (i.e. fake heritage).

The following excerpt is from one of the links that you provided:

(source: http://urbantoronto.ca/database/projects/five-st-joseph )
"With the understanding that design excellence is an integral component of the revitalization of this area, FIVE’s iconic design includes the restoration of nearly half a block of historically significant buildings on Yonge between Wellesley and St. Joseph. The historical preservation involves the restoration of the Yonge Street frontage, which will include new windows, roofs, storefronts and the cleaning of the original façades. The retention of the four-storey 1905 Gothic revival façade of 5 St. Joseph will be the largest façade retention ever undertaken in Toronto. The fronts of 25 and 17 St. Nicholas (six storeys) and 15 St. Nicholas (three storeys) will be documented and new façades will be built to match the architectural spirit of the originals."

In my opinion, Waterside was just as good or better (they didn't rebuild the facades, they kept the original). I think in reality, the links that you provided show how writers can put a positive spin on a project (it sounded almost like promotional material).

The Espace and Morse building redevelopments were actual restorations. The Toronto projects that you referred to are facadism and one developer even appears to have changed one historic facade to get it to fit to the developers floor slabs.

I can't accept this argument. This is more of a "Toronto is better" argument.