View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
Is the Summer Olympics a big deal here? I ask simply because my unreliable nation pulse taking says "no", compared to the Winter Olympics.

I generally don't get the sense that Canadians particularly care about a lot of the summer events. About the last time I saw Canada get worked up about the Summer Olympics was Atlanta 1996 and that was mostly due to Donovan Bailey.

In a sense, Canada trying for a Summer Olympics is not unlike the Aussies/Kiwis trying for the Winter ones. Cool and all, but not really their wheelhouse.

As much as we need another white elephant mistake in this country (It really has been too long since we've flushed a copious amount of cash down the toilet on something so architecturally and fantastically useless), might as well do that on something that we kind of actually enjoy?
I don't think Canadians really care too much about the Winter Olympics either, beyond hockey and whatever story happens to come out of that particular games. The Scott and Tessa's, or Jon Montgomery shot gunning a pitcher of beer. I mean, for sure, they were a big deal the years we hosted, but the other years, I think Canadians give the Winter games the same 2 week passing interest we do the Summer games. For sure, we don't really follow most of those events outside the Olympics, whether Summer or Winter.