View Single Post
Old Posted May 16, 2020, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I'd like to see this data. I don't believe it.
Google something like "Wikipedia GDP countries past projected GDP nominal" and you'll find every year from 1960 to 2025. IMF and World Bank as a source.

I'm puzzled about your surprise. It's well known former Dominions historically have had very high GDP per capita and were kinda caught up by European countries recovering after the WWII. New Zealand probably had the worse performance over this period. From the highest GDP per capita in the World (along the US) to one of the smallest amongst developed by the 1990's.

And it's also no secret, British perfomed horribly from 1965-1985 or so, having one of the lowest GDP per capita on developed world. After that period, they started to grow quickly reversing the relative decline and even outperforming its developed peers by the 2000's.

Quote:
This is nonsense. The UK had growing population entirely due to increased immigration. When you massively increase immigration, you expect higher population numbers, obviously.
What's your point? I said British population barely grew between the 1961-1991, and then started to grow very quickly, reaching the climax on the past decade. I said nothing about immigration as obviously it was the main driver.

After all, Britain became much more attractive on this period.

Quote:
London has always been the global center for finance, which is very different than saying it's the most important city for finance, which it hasn't been for at least 80 years.

What happened in the 1980's is that deregulation unleashed the UK's wealth-making capacity, but it didn't make London more or less relevant as a global center for finance. London will always play a central role given its location and language, and whether the regulatory framework is post 70's light-touch as opposed to previous policies.
London pretty much had disappeared from radar between the 1960's and 1990's, becoming a 2nd tier city. New York was seen as several times more important. London's ressurgence from the 2000's, rivaling with NYC it was completely unimaginable for one person in the 1990's as for them London's role as world city had been long ended with WWII.

And this unexpected economic boom, that shifted long-stand power balances, was mirrored by a population boom, and London population started to grow at Victorian rates (2001-2021 growth for London was the fastest since 1890's).