View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 6, 2021, 10:27 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolteN View Post
Truly is exciting for Halifax, but some serious changes need to be made, I'd say a legislation that permanently mandates a cap of 10% for rental increases from the previous rate the existing tenant was paying, example if you pay $950 a month for rent with this law it can only increase $95 to $1045 for the next 12 months.
As a reference, Ontario's rent increase cap for 2021 was 0%. In 2020 it was 2.2%. 2022 is set at 1.2%.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/residential-rent-increases

Halifax shouldn't have anything above 5%, IMO. In saying that, though, rules need to also be brought in place to ensure that landlords cannot evict or remove tenants without reason, because that's one way around an occupied-residence rental cap. I managed to stay in a very cheap apartment in central Ottawa for years, but the second I moved out and left it empty the rent was increased by 33%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
Is there a difference between the Halifax CMA and the HRM? HRM boundaries are huge, and cover way more than what I think of as Halifax. Are the boundaries the same? East Hants seems a stretch to add into the CMA, but StatsCan has its methods, so they must have enough data on it to lump it in.
Areas being added to CMAs are based on commuting patterns. If East Hants is being added (I can't remember the additions for 2021) then it means that >50% of East Hants' working population is commuting into the Halifax CMA central area (which is the HRM, in this case).