View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Halifax seems to be doing okay. It would be a little more interesting and successful if it were a more popular destination for immigrants. To be honest I also think that population growth is less important than economic growth and city planning. There are bad cities much larger than Halifax and good cities that are much less populated.

Moncton isn't a "rival" in the sense of being a contender for the title of first city in the region. The size difference is too great and a lot of things are lacking in Moncton. They compete in certain specific areas as we've seen with the megaconcerts but don't have the same breadth because of the smaller population and second city status. For example, Halifax has a great deal more local musical talent and live shows. In my opinion that is much more interesting than geriatric rock bands who ran out of steam decades ago (if they were ever creative at all). Similarly look at restaurants or theatre or most other things and it's very one-sided.
If there was a +/- rating system on this forum you'd get a +1 good post.

Re: Immigrants they are moving in fast the last few years. Theres been roughly 100 Phillipinos immigrated to Antigonish in the last 2 years. The ones I worked with said they are bringing they're families over and moving to Halifax once they gain their citizenship next year.