View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 5:51 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Nice advertisement-bordering-on-propaganda piece. "Some might even call it the capital of the South" ...give me a fuckin break.

First of all, article aside, one of the first signs that someone is trying to manipulate you is use of vague hedging qualifiers, of which this is a textbook example. Ideally, you learn not to do this in high school.

But anyway, the capital of the south? In what world? Economically or demographically, sure! But this is not an article about stats, its about promoting culture, and to say that Atlanta is the cultural capital of the south is like saying Zurich is the cultural capital of Switzerland, or San Jose is the cultural capital of the Bay Area. Assuming that the biggest city in a given region must be the cultural capital is the first sign that someone has probably never been there or just doesnt know what theyre talking about. As any Russian will tell you, Russia may have its brain in Moscow, but the nation's heart and soul will forever be St. Petersburg.

So to this point, I would ask this writer, have they ever heard of New Orleans? Now THATS a southern city whose cultural contributions have changed the whole fucking world, never mind the US. If you asked people from all over the planet to name American cities they associate with African American cultural impact, you'll probably hear: New Orleans, Detroit, Chicago, New York, St. Louis, Montgomery, Oakland, and maybe even Seattle (a lot of people know Jimi Hendrix) before you hear them bring up Atlanta.

So thats what i found wrong with one sentence. Extrapolate what I've said here to the rest of the article, and then to CNN as an organization, then rinse and repeat

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.