View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 7:27 PM
Pipe Layer

Again, WHY HAS BROWN FIELD BEEN OVERLOOKED???

I drove through the 905 on Friday afternoon to check out the area. For those of you who've never been that far south it's the southernmost freeway connecting the 805 and 5. A proposal to expand Brown Field's capacity as an industrial airport was shot down by NIMBY's a few years back.

Sorry for the pic quality from my iPhone.

Looking north. Beyond the eucalyptus trees the Oceanview neighborhood is encroaching on the western edge of brown field

Brown field itself is probably twice as large than Lindbergh Field's footprint and can be expanded even more eastward. If the 905 is diverted south and ran along the international border, the airport can be expanded South. These are HUGE tracts of flat, undeveloped land with pockets of development in between (mostly small office/warehouses and gasoline/fastfood).

Looking north at Brown Field from the 905. Notice the San Miguel Mtns.

Looking East. Brown Field on the left side, small commercial lots on the right.

One of the small corners of gas stations and fast food looking South. This one looks new. ONE WORD: EMINENT DOMAIN!

I took a right on some of the roads off the 905 East and in many cases you will see LARGE fields and canyons of NOTHINGNESS. There's definitely room here for an airport bigger than Lindbergh. This area is probably wider than Brown Field and maybe even longer.

Looking South

Looking South. A passenger jet is taking off from TJ's airport. The Mex-USA border is probably 2 miles from this point. Imagine how many east-west runways you can fit in that! And are landing/takeoff patterns really an issue? Can't we just run parallel to their airport? Or how about a truly international airport? The possibilities are there!

Looking Southwest

Another lot looking south from a different street. EMPTY SPACE!

Looking South. A Tijuana radio tower in the far distance.

A canyon looking West. This empty space goes on for about 2 miles west until you hit the new San Ysidro Highschool and brand new residential development near 805/905 connector. NIMBY's from that area will be an issue.

Last edited by mongoXZ; Feb 14, 2009 at 9:26 PM.