View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 7:55 AM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I remember some coverage of the lack of services around Gottingen that had some concrete discussion of the economics of full-service grocery stores. I think the estimate at the time was that something like 8,000 more residents would be needed to support a store there. At the time that sounded like a lot, but these days it no longer does.

4th Ave in Vancouver has a few small yet full scale grocery stores of a type that would probably do well in the North End, e.g. urban format IGA at 4th and Collingwood. I have heard Sobeys has done a smaller format in Canada (Ontario and Alberta?) but I guess not yet in NS. For being the "home turf" of Sobeys, NS has some of the more out of date seeming stores.
It’s nice to see a tangible estimate of what would be needed to support a grocery store in the area. I’ve visited an urban format No Frills in st. James town, I thought it would be a logical fit for the North End because of the more affordable foods, and it would give Loblaws a foothold against the Oxford Sobeys (even though I prefer Empire to Loblaws).

On a side note, Sobeys reigns supreme here in Waterloo. Stores under the Loblaws name are more common in Kitchener and Cambridge. I’ve noticed that Sobeys is considered more high-end here, compared to home where it’s considered average.