View Single Post
Old Posted May 20, 2015, 5:24 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
It's great to see the Jung moving forward so quickly. That's going to be a huge boost to the area. Hopefully they can move quickly with old Charity and attract some major new developments. The state has sold off just about everything else, why should they hold on to that?

The Convention Center proposal looks about as good as anything we could hope for. I especially like the amphitheater (reminds me of Chicago's Millennium park) and the elevated walkways (reminds me of the Highline in Manhattan). It would be great to see a new hotel like that - we haven't seen anything that tall built since the 80's. Plus extending the streetcar through the development would be nice, even if that don't build it on Convention Center Blvd.
Charity Hospital RFQ went out a few months ago so we should be hearing something about it soon.

As for convention center development. I agree that its quite attractive and while most of the buildings are just placeholders for a future design the overall scale is great. A streetcar(even something more modern than our normal streetcar) I think could really work here. I do wonder how they plan to negotiate with Tulane though for the waterfront property. We know Tulane is building some water research facility right now. With Jaeger owning or about to own the Power Plant they certainly have a leg up in negotiations. If anything they would just make it much easier to create a seemless experience from WTC/ Harrahs all the way to Jackson Avenue.