View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 8:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Actually there are lots of NIMBYs in NYC. And there's plenty of people in New York City who care about shadows in parks and other such things. The difference bwtn NYC and SF is that it has a much longer relationship with the skyscraper. Manhattan is synonymous with skyscrapers. San Francisco was still pretty 'long slung' even when Sue and her ilk were kids. Some people here still see skyscrapers as alien to San Francisco, which makes no sense to me. Sue is one of those people. And of course San Francisco has some issues peculiar to it- like hills with views and sunshine eradicating fog.

I think most in San Francisco realize that the 'damaged is done' and fighting heights -particularly in SOMA is counterproductive at this point.
I don't know which San Franciscans you're talking about (hopefully nobody on this forum!). I think SF has a beautiful and distinctive skyline. What better compliment to the hills, bridges, and bay than a nice cluster of towers? I mean, yes there is a 500 ft flatline in the middle and most of the fidi pack is a little dated, but I like the diversity and texture that the new glass SOMA towers are adding. Once this whole development is built out in 50 years (I may or may not be exaggerating) I think it will look great!

And screw all those old SF'ers. I feel like they are so "entitled" to everything.