View Single Post
Old Posted May 13, 2017, 3:38 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
I think the more apt comparison is to the Rockefeller center Christmas tree... .
That is a comparison they use as well, but that's a seasonal thing. It's not a permanent object like the Statue of Liberty, Eiffel Tower, Empire State, etc. Ross was basically saying it will be an icon instantly recognizable around the world as New York. I think that was an understatement, particularly in this age if instagram and everyone taking photos. Not to mention that the site is wrapped by the High Line, already one of the top tourists destinations. There is no doubt that Ross was correct in his assessment. It's also an icon that anyone can visit, it will cost nothing, making it one of the more publicly accessible icons, as open as Times Square itself. I also think the NY Wheel will become an icon, but one that can be seen in other places.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.