View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 23, 2013, 4:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
The Leafs are well supported (best supported hockey franchise in the world). The GTHL is the best development league in the world -- so participation in hockey is very high. It's just that intermediary leagues (like OHL and AHL) are not well supported.

Part of it might be the perception among Torontonians that Toronto is a 'major' city and people will only spend money on the 'big leagues.' Perhaps that also explains why the CFL is not supported in Toronto -- people consider it 'minor league' -- similar to AHL or OHL.
O dear again. The GTHL is the best development league in the world? How so? I doubt very much that it develops the most players on a per capita basis. Television ratings for the CFL are just as high in Toronto as they are elsewhere. This insecurity about being a “major league” really just exists within a certain subculture in Toronto, including the Toronto media. But world class cities have their own identities and they’re confident in them, and ironically the fact that this particular segment feels that it needs to cling to American cultural institutions to make itself feel “world class” only proves that it isn’t world class, because it doesn’t have an identity of its own.

Quote:
And attendance isn't the only way to determine support for the Leafs -- look at the high ticket prices, the nearly 100% season ticket renewal rate, the lengthy waitlist for prospective season ticket buyers, the massive TV ratings. There's a reason the CBC shows Leafs games in the prime time 7PM EST time slot every Saturday night while ignoring other Canadian teams. It's their crown jewel for TV ratings.
From my perspective putting the Leafs on at 5PM means that I never see them play. That’s too early for me. The prime time game at 8PM is generally when the Flames play (although truth be told I don’t watch much hockey anymore in any timeslot).