View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 7:20 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake10 View Post
Sweden is not Canada. I drive the route from Winnipeg to Kenora all the time and some of the stuff I see amazes me. As you pass into Manitoba and approach the divided highway section from the East, despite being signposted, I've often seen drivers who can't wait the extra 2 minutes and must find a way to pass other vehicles 1 or 2 kms before the divided highway begins. These are cars with Manitoba plates so it's not as if they're unfamiliar with the highway. The road needs to be finished properly (twined).
Well I guess if they used this 2+1 style the passing lanes would be quite frequent over a long distance. You are right though, Canadian drivers can be quite stupid on these long distance non-freeway routes (taking huge risks to save 2 minutes).

I think this would be great for the Highway 7 TCH between Peterborough and Carleton Place. Once you get west of Perth (AADT's only 3000-5000) the passing lanes are quite infrequent so you get that dangerous rush to pass situation, and the road is curvy so it's hard for cars to pass on the 2 lane parts. When you do have the passing lanes there's no barrier between you and oncoming traffic (which can also use that lane for passing if they yield..). To me these seem much better than "Super-2's" which still have the risk of head-on collisions

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Oct 7, 2009 at 8:04 PM.