View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 5:58 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
the moraines don’t exhibit much relief at all...as a whole chicagoland is extraordinarily notable for its lack of topography compared to almost every other us region. the moraines are only noticeable because the surrounding topography is so incredibly flat. the city itself feels almost as flat as new orleans!

have you been to chicago? its the flattest midwestern region i can think of by quite a large margin. granted i don’t know greater detroit other than quick runs in and out on the expressway or flying.
The largest moraine complex in the United States is Long Island, Staten Island, and the Outer Lands ...

It's interesting to note that the flattest lands overall in the Midwest are associated with proglacial lakebeds. The bed of Lake Agassiz is probably the largest stretch of near perfectly flat terrain you'll find on the continent, and Chicago proper is actually built in what was once the margin of proglacial Lake Chicago -- a Lake Michigan precursor.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)