View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 9:38 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I find the prairie cities in Canada quite similar. You could drop me on a random street in Winnipeg, Brandon, Saskatoon, Regina, etc. and unless the city's overall population was obvious in some vista, I'd never know the difference.

I find small, isolated, fiercely patriotic and independent capitals are all similar to my own, especially Dublin (accent, culture, etc.) and Reykjavik (urbanity, amenities, far more than than a city it's population should have and be).

I find Ottawa and Quebec City similar. There's a public service sleepiness that impacts the culture. Not to say it's quiet or anything - both are large, busy, and fun - but there's a... it's almost like they are missing the lower classes, and all of the drama and excitement that comes with that.

The American cities seem to be the opposite. There's nothing like Boston, for example, elsewhere. There are LOTS of similarities with cities like Halifax and St. John's, but there's something significant and American that makes it different. You'll often see articles reference this in a negative way. For example, I once rounded a corner out on an early-morning photo stroll and happened upon, on a single block, more homeless people sleeping on the sidewalk than there probably are in shelters in my city. I've never seen a homeless person sleeping outside before. Just doesn't exist here. But it's not just that. It's positive things too. There's a cohesive, national American identity that kind of keeps things together.

Liverpool is a good UK comparison for being not quite comparable to anything else, though similar to many. Those similarities just aren't enough to overshadow the impressive uniqueness you feel in the city itself.