View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 3, 2009, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The bridges over the rail cut in the South End of Halifax are small but interesting:

by wdrwilson

Bedford has a CN bridge that looks much like the one in Winnipeg.

The idea of a third major harbour crossing is interesting but it is a little depressing to hear the outcry against it - $1B is too much (it would be user pay..), people should take their bikes instead, where will people park, etc. The third crossing is something that was planned long ago to better connect part of the city and the reality is that bridges from 1970 for a city of 250,000 are not going to work indefinitely.
I didn't even think of the railcut bridges. But then again as you said they are so small that its hard to notice them. One thing interesting about them is of all the bridges over the railcut only the Younge Ave Bridge is double-arched.

Yes unfortunately Bedford does have one of those CN Bridges. It is extremely ugly and I hate how the support column goes directly into the Sackville River.

As for the third bridge I'm for it as long as there's a bus/HOV lane, bicycle facilities, a sidewalk, it looks attractive, and it still allows for the Greenway to be built. Since I live on the wrong side of town I'll never use it so I'm not worried about the tolls and costs associated with it.