View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterMileSidewalk View Post
^the reason they're putting the old streets back, where they can, is because the OWTC's "superblock" was deeply dysfunctional urban planning. It was the same rationale that led to the massive housing projects in the 40's, 50's and 60's, based on Corbusian "tower in a park" ideals, which just aren't conducive to street life. The old WTC's plaza was often windy and lifeless for much of its existence, since it was removed from the street and generally offered no really compelling destinations for the tens of thousands of workers.

As for your notion that "now is the best time to change the design," Freedom Tower's foundations are nearly finished, and steel is already rising a hundred feet above street level. So that tower is going up, as is, barring a complete financial and social meltdown. But I suppose the other three are available... I just wonder what it is, specifically, that you don't like, or would change, about the current designs?
Well part of that reason was because there was nothing to do there. It was just a largely empty plaza. Perhaps something like this would be better to have as a pedestrian only super block:

(Picture from VTAT)

I know the pic is small but it gives a rough idea of what I think the area should look like. I would also like to see two towers instead of just one tower and they should both be significantly taller than the current planned tower. It would be a tight squeeze on the site area, but thats why the planned WTC towers 3 and 4 could be moved around to make new room. I like the new WTC 2 tower. I also like the memorial but I think the new ground structure portrayed in that picture could be pressed up close to the edge with a sort of stone boardwalk between the waterfalls and patios for restaurants.

The basic objective is to make the place exciting and lively while also preserving the memorial site plan and building it all bigger.

Now may not be the best time to modify the site, that was a poor choice of words. I should have said now is the last time to modify the site.