View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 5:49 PM

^Wow, that is quite fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
^ 55 W Wacker would be so much nicer with transparent glazing.

It seems like most forms of progressive architecture undergo a period of popular contempt and derision that gradually gives way to enjoyment, even adoration. Sometimes it's a matter of familiarity, but more often I think it's a new context created by newer styles. I think anti-Brutalist sentiment, of which there is no shortage even among enthusiasts of Modernism, is a perfect example. In fifty years, when new technologies become more widely adopted and give birth to forms we have only previewed or yet unseen, popular opinion will swing towards Brutalism.
I agree about 55WW in some respects. Part of what appeals to me about Brutalist-style structures is the apparent (often actual) structural exaggeration--they're just so heavy-duty looking and expressive. If you contrast this aspect with more transparent glass that allows for a glimpse into the "fragile" (by comparison with the structure, anyway) human occupancy within, the results can be really amazing. 55WW, as a result of its opaque glazing, is still in-your-face but with no depth--kind of a conflicting mix.

I also agree that Brutalism will improve with age, and mostly for the reasons you stated.