View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1EK View Post
Mueller continues to be a huge disappointment to me and a huge waste of tax dollars (and a waste of a singular opportunity). We go over there about once a month just to hit the park (which is cool - has playscapes unlike the typical stuff everywhere else), and I drive through every time I go to Home Depot.

The market is irredeemably suburban - and will never be retrofitted. Nor will the existing retail sprawl - those who are telling you otherwise are taking a Dumb And Dumber approach to development ("OK, there's a one in a million chance the parking lot could be infilled into some kind of a grid" - "so you're telling me there's a chance!").

We had a big windfall at the end of 2011 - enough that I even briefly entertained looking at one of the signature houses over there and paid attention for a few months again to what's going on with the Town Center and everything else. No changes, folks, it's still just a big dumb new suburb. (We moved to Hyde Park instead - I have yet to tell Karen McGraw the news).
Hey Mike - congrats on Hyde Park - it's one of a handful of neighborhoods I really like in Austin. I'm sure Karen McGraw will have kittens once you get on the neighborhood list serves.

I agree with some of your criticisms on Mueller. The north west quadrant along IH35 is suburban in form (and yes, driving to that home depot is like driving to any other home depot, except the trip is much shorter now) and I don't ever expect that to be retrofitted (or don't discount that it might happen 20 years from now - but no where in the near future). But honestly - I've never heard anyone discuss retrofitting that - and in any case it would be so far down the line there's no point in discussing it - your point seems like a red herring to me.

The market district by the HEB may be a bit hybrid (some nods to urbanism along Berkman) - though basically suburban in form (cool suburban, but suburban) - which, I understand, was dictated by HEB's demands. I think this summer we'll have a much better idea of what that area will ultimately be. Of course, if we had Publix here in Texas, they could have figured out a more urban grocery store. Unfortunately, they don't service Texas. Yet still, the HEB will be a tremendous amenity for the neighborhood and Windsor Park and close enough to a LOT of housing to walk to in the 5-10 minute range - quite pleasantly, on tree shaded streets lined with both separated bike lanes and on-street parking and without having to cross large parking lots at all. It should also be noted the the presence of HEB does not preclude a Blue Royal type store to open in town center or down by the Tower some day, and Mosaic is already getting a boutique like convenience store as well (open this spring) and theres a really pleasant farmers market at the hangar as well, so there will be options for committed urbanites.

But the main problem I have with your criticism is that you don't seem to acknowledge Mueller is a work in progress (or rather - you seem to be dubious of any possible progress). The housing stock is actually dense and urban in form (oriented towards the street, small lots, garages in back by code, etc.) compared to most of Austin (you can't legally build that kind of density right now anywhere else in Austin except the CBD and a few transit corridors), with a mix of housing types and levels of affordability actually welcomed and desired by the residents and getting denser all the time (see section 6 and several new planned and being built apartment buildings - such as Mosaic 2, and the AMLI). And the town center plans are quite urban in form and should bring a nice mix of restaurants, pubs, retail, theater, office, etc. to the area. Yes, it doesn't exist yet - but it's getting closer and the city seems committed to it and catellus seems committed to it happening and the neighborhhod is not only accepting of urbanism but, unlike places like Allendale or Zilker, actually desires it to happen as soon as possible. If Little Woodrows wanted to open in Mueller, the residents would hold a welcoming party, not stick the owner with a pitchfork. The reality of the financial markets and slow down in the economy have no doubt set things back - but it's a bit unfair to criticize catellus for macro economic trends it has no control over or, over stuff that hasn't been built yet. And perhaps it's fair to say they should have built the town center first. . .but I'm not so sure this is right - I mean, NO ONE wants that to be a life-style center a-la the Domain, but rather something a bit more organic and real, and for that to occur there needs to be people first. . .so a bit chicken and the egg scenario going on I think.

The neighborhood itself is quite pleasant. The park - as you mentioned is really nice and maintained for the COA at a much higher standard than most other city parks (thank you to the POA) and once the ACM goes in there will be a ton of people coming to the area which should get the ball rolling on the town center.

I'm unclear on whether you have a problem with the current town center planns (in which case what are they)? Or is your critique that the plans won't materialize?

If the latter - time will tell. Perhaps let it evolve over say the next 5 years and see what it becomes before passing judgment on it being "just a big dumb suburb".

I'm also unclear how it is a "waste of tax dollars" since it brings a tremendous amount of ad valorem taxes to the city's budget. Also, doesn't Catellus purchase the land from the city as it gets developed out? I'm trying to find where this is a bad deal for Austin taxpayers.

Anyway, I think your heart is in the right place (even if its 3 sizes to small) and would definitely buy you a drink at Karen McGraw's favorite wine bar (or Contigo if you like better) and debate whether, of all the really stupid crap the city of Austin does, Mueller really deserves such ire.

Last edited by Komeht; Jan 27, 2013 at 6:44 PM.