View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 6:56 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Of course, as you know I'm very interested in this topic. I don't think simple annexation is acceptable to anyone -considering the fate of North Sacramento. However the balkinization of Sacramento County will only hurt the region IMO and it means that Sacramento will end up no different than LA of San Jose. That's why I think we need a restructuring of the city and not simple annexation.

I think that if the city were to annex Arden-Arcade and South Sacramento you would deifinitely see restructuring of the city.

Most likely you would see one or two additional Council members to represent the new population and i think that the city would have to guarantee an increased level of service to the new city residents, since that's why they're looking at incorporation.

You could probably expect the City to contract with the County Sheriff to provide law enforcement service until the size of the City Police force could be beffed up. Sacramento Metro Fire would also probably continue covering fire protection until Sacramento City Fire could assume fire protection and County waste services would probably continue to provide trash collection.

Equipment and personell would probably simply change logos and uniforms and would simply be abosorbed into the city. The City would probably be asked to compensate the County to some degree.

Finances might be the stubbling block to this anyway.

Can the City of Sacramento afford to assume responsibility for another 164,121 new residents???

BTW the new Sacramento City Council Chambers was built to accomodate a few addtional Council members...