View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 6, 2020, 2:45 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Capmetro is larger than just the city of Austin. Austin's the majority, but you're leaving out a big chunk (20% or so).

CapMetro projects it might have ~$60M per year about a decade out*. But yes that's not enough for the proposed system, this entire process has been predicated on a city election to provide additional funds (though still far less than what's spent on cars).
The sales tax revenues collected for CapMetro is its total from its entire service area. The entire metro area does not contribute tax revenues to CapMetro. I used just the city of Austin for population purposes only - and it is by far the largest amount for tax revenues.

I was replying to someone suggesting CapMetro would not be receiving any support without additional funding - all I'm trying to point out is that CapMetro already is receiving financial funding to amounts exceeding hundreds of millions of dollars each and every year.

Again, the question that needs to be answered is how much "more" you are willing to tax yourself for "better" public transit? Yes, every voter should have an opportunity to answer that question at a referendum.

Last edited by electricron; Jun 7, 2020 at 2:10 PM.