View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This is a good point and underscores how Canada (probably the CRTC) doesn't really allow regional sports networks - or any other types of regional TV networks.
CTV Sportsnet (as it then was) was supposed to fill that role to some extent, but the CRTC let them get away with doing whatever they wanted. Same with TSN where AFAIK only in-market NHL games constitute "regional content".

Unlike the US, we don't really have the regional sports channels to complement the national channels (like the FSNs alongside ESPN)… RDS is really the only exception to that, mainly as a byproduct of the language barrier as you point out.

University sport gets nearly no mainstream TV coverage out here.

And to answer megadude's question, I don't know one single person who is a CIS football fan. I know guys who, like me, might have a vague idea as to how the Bisons are doing in a given year (i.e. I know they've been having a decent season and are currently ranked #10 nationally - thanks, Bisons twitter), but I can't think of anyone I know who has actually attended a game in recent years.