View Single Post
Old Posted May 15, 2019, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
It isn't a doubling, it's increasing by ~60%, compared to the population increasing by 400% in the last 58 years.
? No it's not. It's (very close to) a doubling. Approximately, it's okay to call it a doubling. I'm using your own numbers, see post below - it's an increase of 192.3%. (A true doubling would be 200.0%)

(Similarly, 58 years is what I approximately call "a half century".)

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Calgary going from 1.3m to 2.5m in 58 years doesn't seem implausible to me. In 1960 Calgary was less than 250,000, so if anything the projection seems conservative.

Quote:
I'm sure the city of Calgary has done more research into this and has more data than you have but obviously population projections are just that, projections.
It's really easy to find projections that were totally wrong in retrospect.

Quote:
Maybe that is the future, but the City of Calgary's job is to plan for infrastructure, so it's prudent to make sure we have planned adequate capacity for what they see as a realistic scenario.
Sure. I just don't think we need to panic because there isn't enough water in one given location for hypothetical people. If water is truly a limiting factor, then Calgary likely won't grow past that point where it'd need more water.

Notice how projection of growth was directly leading to the conclusion "Ireland won't have anywhere near enough food for all that people then!", and how in reality this limitation is precisely what caused the projection to be grossly incorrect...